Our Fee Policies
Currently, I operate a strictly fee-for-service practice. I am not on any insurance panels, and I do not directly bill insurance companies for my services. All fees are due at the time of service.
Certain PPO insurance plans may reimburse you for part (or all) of the fees paid to out-of-network providers, such as myself. Before starting therapy, you may wish to contact your insurance company to find out about the procedure for getting reimbursed for out-of-network costs. I provide the necessary documentation to help you get reimbursements from your insurance company, if this is a benefit that is provided to you.
While many people prefer to take advantage of their insurance benefits when seeking therapy, there are distinct advantages to choosing to pay out-of-pocket.
- Insurance companies generally require a psychiatric diagnosis to be made before paying out for mental health services. This may lead to unnecessary labeling, which then becomes part of your insurance record. Paying for therapy yourself allows you to maintain confidentiality about your struggles and may reduce the likelihood of being given a diagnosis for reimbursement purposes.
- Insurance companies may impose arbitrary limits on the amount of services you receive. For some individuals, this is not a problem, but for other individuals who prefer more consistent or more long-term therapy, this may be a significant limiting factor.
- Using your insurance policy to pay for therapy may restrict your choice in who you are able to see for therapy, depending on which providers participate in your specific plan. Paying out-of-pocket allows you more flexibility in choosing the therapist you work with best.
My current rates for services are as follows:
- $200 per 45-50 minute individual or family session.
- $300 per 90-minute individual or family session.
- $200/hour for home-based therapy, including travel time from my office to your home and back. Partial hour charges are prorated as needed.
- $200/hour for attendance at IEP or other school meetings, including travel time.
Although I do not provide custody evaluations or expert witness testimony, the following charges do apply if my participation in court-ordered proceedings becomes necessary:
- $300/hour for therapy services that are either directly court-ordered or are entered into as part of an ongoing lawsuit (including but not limited to lawsuits for personal injury, workman’s compensation, wrongful termination, medical malpractice, etc.), including time required to complete documentation for court
- $400/hour for attendance at or participation in court proceedings. A minimum charge of $1600 is required 1 week prior to the scheduled court date and is non-refundable.
I currently accept a variety of alternatives for payment including cash, personal checks, and most major credit and debit cards. Detailed receipts (super bills) are provided as needed. For cash and credit card transactions, electronic receipts are also available. If a personal check is returned marked insufficient funds, you will be responsible for paying the returned check penalty and will be asked to use an alternate form of payment for future transactions.
Payments are due at the time service is rendered unless alternate arrangements are made in advance.
A 24-hour notice is required for all appointment cancellations. Cancellations made during the 24 hours prior to the scheduled appointment time will be billed at the regular hourly rate.